Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Drunken Pasta

Last week I was watching Food TV (as usual) and they had a very special edition of Iron Chef America. They had Giada De Laurentiis facing off against Rachel Ray. Which was already pretty cool. Then they "Kicked it up a notch" by pairing Giada with Bobby Flay and Rachel with Mario Batali. So this is clearly an episode of Iron Chef America that is not to be missed. At one point Rachel Ray pours an entire bottle of red wine into a pot. In my mind I'm saying, "Rachel, dear, it would be easier to drink it out of a glass." She turns on the pot and uses it to boil pasta. And at this point I'm blown away, I think this is pretty darn cool. She makes drunken pasta out of it. I'm pretty impressed by the whole thing.

But then I get time to reflect a little. If I'm at home and I'm making some pasta, I really think that there is no chance that I'm wasting a bottle of wine by boiling pasta in it. Its one thing to make Coq au Vin, which is a personal favourite, but that only takes a cup or two. Here's my thought, if you're at home and you don't have a cheap bottle of wine to waste boiling pasta, use less water and throw some wine in with it. You surely won't get the same level of flavour but it won't cost you a bottle of wine either. Otherwise if you are looking to get rid of a bottle of wine from the Dépanneur (corner store if you're outside Québec) fill your boots.

As a side note they are airing that episode again this week on Wednesday night at 9pm on Food Network Canada.

1 comment:

boredom blogger said...

I saw the ad for the Giada v. Rachel Ray cook-off while I was watching the Ostrich episode (yick), but didn't get to watch it. I'll have to check it out. I kept thinking that the chefs on Top Chef have a long way to go before they get to the Iron Chef Kitchen.