Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Dumplings are easy!

Last night I was having a few friends over for dinner. I was looking for some inspiration in my freezer and saw some egg roll wrappers that had been leftover from some dumplings I made a few weeks ago. So I did them again because they are always impressive at a dinner party. I believe I got the idea for this from the food network but it was long enough ago that I forget which show. At any rate, I didn't follow a recipe so here it is (approximately).

Easy Delicious Dumplings
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 or 4 green onions
- some ginger
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- a tiny bit of sesame oil
- some olive oil
- egg roll wrappers (don't feel tied down to these if you find better wrappers, use them)

Directions:
Put everything except for the wrappers in a food processor and blend until combined (maybe 1 minute).




Find yourself a good work surface where you can lay out a bunch of wrappers. As well, get yourself a glass of water because you'll need the water to seal the edges of the wrappers.

Place approximately 1 rounded teaspoon of the filling mixture in the middle of each wrapper. Dip one of your fingers in the glass of water and run it along the edges of the wrappers to moisten them a bit.

Fold the wrapper in half creating a triangle and press the sides together to make sure they're closed. Then take the two furthest corners, wet them and then join them. Its like the two furthest corners are arms and you are putting the hands together. This may seem a little tough to understand but that's why I took pictures.



Now, you aren't ready to serve your dumplings yet because they haven't been cooked. I steam my dumplings in a pot over water, but I'm sure you could fry them as well although don't hold me accountable if they're not wonderful because I haven't tried frying them. I steam them for about 5-7 minutes although I suggest cutting one open to be sure they're cooked. The chef gets to eat this one (wouldn't want to serve something to guests before doing quality control).

Peanut Sauce
I made a peanut sauce to go with the dumplings. The recipe is;
- 1 cup smoot peanut butter
- juice and zest of 2 limes
- a few dashes of your favourite hot sauce or chili powder
- 3 tablespoons of canola oil
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce

Combine these ingredients. Mine was a little thick so you might want to add more lime juice, oil and soy sauce. Other peanut sauces suggest adding coconut milk but I didn't have any around so I didn't. If you aren't a fan of peanut sauce I would suggest simply dipping the dumplings in soy sauce or plum sauce.

I look forward to your comments to please feel free to leave some.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stu! Your blog is so funny! and creative! and educational! I LOVE IT! I'm going to try the dumplings - it doesn't sound too hard. I also love the picture of the dish in your article, "Lamb - the other red meat". The big hole in the middle of the plate needs a flower or something. Too funny!!! Also, that was one honkin' piece of lamb!

Hope you are well Mr. Fiance...I just wanted to leave a comment on your blog to let you know how great I think it is!